This is the official call for entry to the upcoming SAQA-AZ Regional Exhibition Journeys. You must be a member of SAQA with Arizona as one of your states of residence to apply to the exhibit. The application period is September 1-October 1, 2014.
If you need assistance formating your digital images, please contact Trish Hastings-Sargent or your Regional Co-Reps for guidance. Please plan to submit your best work. We need your help to put on a great show!
Journeys Exhibition CALL FOR ART
An exhibition of contemporary fiber art by the
Studio Art Quilt Associates of Arizona
The Tucson Jewish Community Center at 3800 E River Rd, Tucson
Show Dates: November 11 thru December 10, 2014
VENUE: The Tucson Jewish Community Center is a 98,000-square-feet facility built in 1989. With more than 2000 families and 5000 members, the TJCC is serves Tucsonans of all faiths. “The J” holds art exhibitions throughout the year and is a proven venue for sales. The gallery has 130 linear feet of hanging space.
Entry Deadline: October 1st, 2014.
Exhibition Dates: November 11 thru December 10, 2014
Theme: Journeys. Some journeys bring us home. Some take us to places we’ve never dreamed of. And still others put us on a path to self-discovery. Journeysexplores how Arizona members of the Studio Art Quilt Associates interpret their own journeys (both real and imagined) in stitched layers of fabric or alternative materials. Imagery and subject matter that interpret the many iterations of this broad theme are encouraged.
Juror: Holly Swangstu – Holly Swangstu has a BFA in textile arts, is a working fiber artist, and Director of the Ironwood Gallery at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. She will jury each work based on its technical merit, individuality, and relation to the theme. Holly is familiar with the venue and will seek to hang a cohesive show for the space. She will give a gallery talk at the JCC the day of the reception, so mark your calendars if you wish to hear her thoughts about the show.
- All work must meet the SAQA definition of an art quilt.
- Only original artwork, conceived and created by the entrant(s) will be considered—no patterns, kits or copies.
- All artists involved in collaborating on an artwork must be listed as entrants and sign the loan agreement
- Applicants must be current members of SAQA with Arizona as one of their regions. In-state residence not required.
- Dimensions of work must be: 48” maximum width. No height restrictions.
- A maximum of four works per artist will be considered.
- All entries must be ready to hang with 4” sleeve on the back and a hanging slat. If you are supplying a wooden slat for your work, please ensure the surface is smooth and free of splinters. This protects both your work and the hanging committee’s fingers.
- All entries must be labeled on the back with the artist’s name and contact information, and the title of the piece.
PLEASE NOTE: Once the artworks have been selected for the Journeys show, the region has been encouraged to apply to the Mancuso Quilt Shows to make Journeys part of one of their special exhibitions. ONLY ARTWORK THAT CAN STACK AND ROLL AND HAS A HANGING SLEEVE will be allowed to travel with any Mancuso exhibition. The decision to allow your work to travel with any future Mancuso venue is completely up to you. Please note your preference for each work you submit in your entry materials.
How Do I Apply?
Applying to the Journeys exhibition is a three step process. In order to receive the photos of your work for the jurying process we have set up a special Drop Box file for the exhibition. Dropbox is a free service that lets you easily share your photos, docs, and videos anywhere. If you do not have a Drop Box account it is easy to get one. Just visit Dropbox.com now and follow the easy instruction OR wait until you are invited via email to put your photos into your private Journeys folder.
- Email Trish Sargent at firstname.lastname@example.org with your complete entry information for the show, including how many pieces you are submitting and their titles.
- Trish Sargent will e-mail you an invitation to your file in the Journey’s Drop Box. Upload your images to your file in the Journeys drop box.
- Pay your $25 application fee through the SAQA website during the call to artists: Sept. 1 – Oct. 1. We will email you a link to the siteonce it is live.
$25 Basic entry fee includes up to 4 submissions.
SHIPPING, INSURANCE AND SALES:
Artists will be responsible for the cost of shipping their work to Tucson. Art work will be insured by SAQA insurance for the duration of the show.
The Mancuso Quilt Show venues have invited SAQA regional exhibitions apply to travel to their prestigious venues. Any art quilt exhibitions that travel with Mancuso will be stacked and rolled for shipping. We ask that artists engineer their pieces to be able to be rolled to able to travel to a Mancuso venue, should the show be accepted to travel. If your Journeys submission cannot roll, or is not available to travel, please note that on your application. It is NOT required that your Journeys quilt(s) be a part of a Mancuso show.
Artwork may be for sale. The Tucson Jewish Community Center will take 35% commission and handle all sales. They will issue a check for the remainder to the artist.
Call for entry issued June 1
Entry opens September 1
Deadline for receipt of entries October 1
Notification of acceptance October 20
Accepted artwork delivery date November 3
Installation: November 10
Exhibition opens November 11
Artist reception & Gallery Talk November 16 (time TBA)
Exhibition Closes December 10
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION
Please email the following information to Trish at email@example.com during the on-line registration process.
Artist’s First Name:
Artist’s Last Name:
Information about each piece:
Size: height x width, in inches (Dimensions must not exceed 48” in width )
Artist’s statement (25 words or less)
Total Sale Price in Dollars (if for sale):
Insurance Value in Dollars:
Materials (25 words or less)
Techniques (25 words or less)
____Yes, this piece will roll, and I would allow this work to travel to Mancuso venues.
____No, this quilt does not roll, or I do not wish to have this work travel beyond the JCC.
- Entry does not guarantee inclusion in the exhibition.
- Late entries not accepted.
- Selected works must be dropped off or mailed on or before Nov 3rd and must include a slat with a hole drilled on each end. Details will follow with your acceptance into the show. A framed piece of art must have the appropriate wire on the back for hanging. –Note that we will try to arrange a relay to drop off artwork from northern areas of the state to Tucson.
- SAQA will take appropriate care when handling for installation of exhibition and de-installation.
- Sales of work in the exhibition are encouraged. The commission paid to The Jewish Community Center is 35%.
- If artwork arrives damaged or unsuitable for display, it will be removed from the exhibition.
- Artworks exhibited by SAQA are covered by Creative Commons license “Attribution, Non-Commercial, No Derivatives”. Gallery visitors may take photographs of artworks with the stipulation that images are clearly credited to the creating artist and exhibition by SAQA; images may not be used commercially; and may not be changed, remixed, or modified in any way. Artist agrees to allow SAQA to photograph and reproduce images of artworks for publicity and educational purposes.
- All unsold artworks must be picked up on the scheduled day of de-installation. Anyone claiming artworks on behalf of the artist must make special arrangements with exhibition planners.
- These terms are subject to change.
- Submit one full DIGITAL image and one detail DIGITAL image for each piece of artwork.
- Save your digital images as a high quality JPEG file (No TIFF files).
- Finished image should be 1800 pixels on the longest side. 300 DPI
You will be asked to agree with these Terms and Conditions:
I agree to loan my artwork to the SAQA Journeys exhibit at The Tucson Jewish Community Center for the time period of November 11 thru December 10. I agree to permit images of my accepted work to be used in any publicity, in any media format, associated with the promotion of the exhibition.